Friday, December 18, 2009

Building the Gingerbread House

Okay, so we didn't really BUILD it. I found a pre-built gingerbread house again at Costco and the kids just love them. They have been asking me to let them decorate it for a while now, so last Sunday afternoon we pulled it out and let them have fun. Derek helped them put the majority of the icing on and then we let the boys decorate. Between sneaking candies and getting icing EVERYWHERE - they had a blast. They work and play so well together and Hatcher always offers Aidan assistance. They have this new thing where Hatcher fondly refers to Aidan as his "baby brother" and Aidan replies "my Hatcher." I am not sure if it is the holiday spirit or just that they are bonding more each day, but they are so sweet and loving to one another. Derek and I often find ourselves beaming with joy and pride - it just fills your heart to the brim. Super lucky...we are such lucky parents and people to have been given these two amazing gifts and loving spirits to raise. It is the best thing in the entire world.







I had run into Mandy while running errands over the weekend and mentioned getting together on Sunday. Well - we were able to pull it off. It was nice seeing as we both have jam-packed Christmas plans and the kids hadn't seen each other in a while. The whole Riley family came over and we had chili. No - the kids didn't partake...they had hot dogs and chicken nuggets...SHOCKER! Anyway - it was nice to spend some time with them before the holiday is upon us. I had hoped that Madison and maybe Carter would have been able to decorate their gingerbread house with us...but the time went by too quickly and we just didn't get around to it. I am sure we will see the final product soon!