Friday, December 18, 2009

Christmas Party at School

Today was the Christmas party at the kids school. Derek and I both took the day off to finish holiday prep - but was sure to start it off right. We spent the morning at the spa getting massages and then went to lunch at a Thai restaurant where of course we can't take the boys. A bit of shopping, in cold miserable rain I might add, and some present wrapping and then off to the holiday party. Hatcher and Aidan both have been helping me prepare since we were selected to bring cookies for the classes. I decided early on to enlist their help...so throughout the week we made sugar cookies that they decorated and candy coated pretzels with chocolate. I even had them help me get the teacher's gifts together. They each had candy (Hatcher mints and Aidan Hersey Kisses) that they had to divvy up in the teacher's bags. They were great little helpers. So I nearly fell over when my phone rang at 2:40 today and it was the school calling. Pam, one of the directors, was calling me because Hatcher insisted they find out where Derek and I were - since we told him we would be there at the party with gifts in tow...AND...we had the treat bags for his friends! HA - seriously! I thought the party started at 3 so in m mind, we were right on schedule. But alas the party started a bit earlier in his room...2:30 to be exact. But, as I have told many of you before - it never fails - even when i have all my ducks in a row - somehow I will be late. Well, crisis adverted. Hatcher proudly handed out his treat bags filled with cookies and chocolate coated pretzels and wished his classmates a Merry Christmas. Aidan did the same in his room- although with not quite as much vigor or Hatcher-spunk! Then they both gave their teachers the presents. It was a nice party and I could tell Hatcher and Aidan really enjoyed seeing people smile when they gave them their gift. On the way home Hatcher asked when we could do that again...thankfully, we still have Christmas to celebrate with each other and family. There will be many more gift giving in the coming weeks.