Thursday, October 15, 2009

They grow so fast...

I had to put in this update. The boys have just been acting more grown up than ever these days. They are into collecting sticks and rocks and leaves and are fascinated with bugs of all types. I didn't want to forget the details of the boys at this age, so below is a random collection of thoughts and recent events that I just don't ever want to slip my memory. The time just goes by so fast. I also included pictures of the boys in their Halloween costumes. They arrived on different days - but I told them each that when they came, they could try them out and see if they liked them - HOORAY! - they LOVE them!

Hatcher trying out his Halloween costume - SpideyHatcher.


Hatcher, closer to 4 than I can even imagine, is still the caring and doting big brother. He almost always trys to include Aidan in anything he is doing. For example, Hatcher loves to punch in the security code for the door at school in the mornings - but today, he did the first part and then invited Aidan over to finish it. He said, "you want to push some numbers too Aidan?" In the mornings when we all go downstairs for breakfast, most days, Hatcher will help by feeding the dogs. Now that Aidan is bigger, he wants to do it too. So lately Hatcher offers Aidan half the job, "Aidan, do you want to feed Barkley and I can feed Dakota?" Hatcher will even break Dakota's medicine into two peices so they can each give her a piece. When Aidan needs my help and I can't get to him, Hatcher will go and help out. Some days Hatcher will help get him dressed or undressed and when Aidan has meltdowns, Hatcher rushes in to try and cheer him up. He will lay on the floor and say, "Aidan, you want to come and roll around on the floor with me? Come here Aidan, I can give you a hug." It is super cute. Hatcher is just as sweet to me and Derek. Everyday I pick him up from school he has something for me - whether he picked a flower, or found a "pretty red leaf", a rock or even a painting/drawing the kids made that day...he is always thinking of us. We are so blessed to have such a big hearted boy - now if only he would sleep all night in his big boy bed! He is learning to write his name and can write out H - A - T - C - H...that is all for now. But - he does recognize letters and will call out the letter as he sees it. Hatcher can't get enough books. Derek and I must read to him for 30+ minutes each night. He loves to mix it up and pick different books all the time. He has figured out how to play games on the iPod and work the remotes. It is scary how much kids today absorb. Last week they learned about seeds and one night after school on the way home he asked me if I knew that acorns had little trees inside them. I laughed and said, yes I do Hatcher. It also amazes me that at this age kids have such good reasoning skills. We passed our neighbors house on the way to the store the other day and they had all their cars out in the driveway. Hatcher said, Mommy - why does Marvin have so many cars? (There are 5 there by the way.) I said, you know honey, I don't know. He replied and said...maybe it is because they have such a big family. LOL - he is right - they do - there are 4 adults and 1 teenager living there. Too funny!


Aidan trying out his Captain America costume - Captain Aidan.


Aidan remains such a love and yet he is so serious and quiet. He has such a low voice and sometimes it is hard to understand what he is saying. Most of the time we are able to make out his sentences...but sometimes Derek and I will look at each other and ask "what is he saying?" He adores his big brother Hatcher. It is funny - he does want to have whatever Hatcher wants...but not for long. He beats to his own drum and will let you know when he doesn't want to do anything. Unlike Hatcher, Aidan likes to test the limits - all the time. I can tell he hears "no sir" all the time at school, because he says it to us daily. "No sir Mommy!' LOL He is very much ready for the potty - but I have not found 3 days clear of obligation to strip him of his diaper. He uses the potty daily - just not consistently. He is almost as good at Hatcher using utensils, but still not hte best with spoons - especially with spaghetti! Aidan loves to color - just not always on paper. I am sure it is the age - but he loves to throw things. He is usually the mess maker of the two. He really wants to do everything on his own now, but still isn't quite ready to dress himself and put on his shoes without someone assisting him. Aidan is also having trouble sleeping through the night. And he WAS my GOOD sleeper! ARGH! For the past two weeks he has gotten up several times during the night - usually the first time between midnight and 2 am. Then again around 3 or 4. it has been exhausting. Between he and Hatcher - there hasn't been much sleep in this house. Derek and I were thinking of moving Aidan to his big boy bed in December...but now may opt to leave him in longer. Aidan is finally finding that talking on the phone is fun - but still thinks that people can see what is he is talking about so he holds the phone to things and will say - see Daddy. HA - I am sure that technology is coming! That brings me to an interesting point. Both the boys think most screens are touch screens. Whenever we are out running around - Aidan or Hatcher will touch the computer or TV screens likening them to touchscreens - ATMs, iPods, etc. Aidan is finally sitting longer for Hatcher's TV shows or movies.