Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Spring has arrived...so have the activities at school

With spring officially here, it seems there are a host of things going on at the kids' school. First was the spring student photos - the timing of which caught me completely off guard. I would have scheduled Hatcher's laser treatment further out allowing for more time to heal, and i would not have gotten haircuts the day before. Hatcher's hair grows so fast that we cut it really short...probably too short. But, all in all, nothing really of major concern. It was fun to pick out what the kids would wear. It was colder than i thought it would be so I had to scrap my original plan and go with the button-down and khaki option. They looked so grown up. I am excited to see the proofs.



Next it was carnival time. The school does this twice a year and lately they have had the misfortune of selecting overcast or rainy days. This was no exception. Although only a drizzle - it was constant and wasn't at all conducive for being outside. So, the party was taken indoors. The older "after school" kids hosted a cake walk and face painting. Both Hatcher and Aidan won a cake. I should note that Hatcher won from sheer determination. After Aidan won early on, Hatcher decided he could too. He must have been up there for 30 minutes. At one point, someone came over and pulled his number on purpose so he could win and enjoy the rest of the action. Aidan picked out brownies and Hatcher got a blue and green balloon cake. I talked the kids into sharing the brownies there on the spot and told Hatcher he could take the cake to school the next day to share with his class. I was not keen on all that sugar and calories coming into our house...there is enough there already. After a hot dog, snow cone, chips and some brownie it was time to let the kids ride the train. We took them outside and let them ride it several times. Go figure that just when Derek and I thought - okay this is a good opportunity to leave - we are already outside... they announced the arrival of the magician. So back inside we went. The kids really enjoyed it. He did magic, sang songs, acted a fool for the kids and even did balloon animals at the end. At one point Derek was brought "on stage" as part of the act. Hatcher and Aidan were so proud of their Dad...too cute! When it was all said and done we packed up their stuff, took two very tired and cranky boys home...after one LAST ride on that train!






I know I have mentioned it before, but Hatcher really loves to take photos. He took this one of Derek that night as we were showing them the photos I took from the carnival. He has gotten some pretty good shots!